News from Holy Cross:
It has been over 20 weeks now since the start of the lockdown, and Holy Cross parish is now getting ready to restart public Mass.
Many of you have benefited from the Facebook live streaming of Mass which we have set up. We are looking to upgrade the live streaming and audio system, to improve quality and ease of use.
Please visit JustGiving to donate towards our crowd funder for this.
Re-opening of the church for Mass:
We plan on opening the church for the public celebration of Mass from August 15th, starting with the vigil Mass of the Assumption of Our Lady at 6.10pm. The Government mandates that anyone entering Holy Cross will need to wear a face mask (with some exceptions, such as in the case of children under 11). It is important everyone follows social distancing guidelines.
From August 15th onwards, we will open the church in the month of August at these times for Mass:
- Saturday evening vigil: 5.30pm-7pm
- Sundays: 7.30am-9am, 10am-12 noon, 6.30pm-8pm
Some key points:
- These opening times will be reviewed in around a month and revised accordingly. Mass will start at the usual times of 6.10pm (vigil), 8am, 10.30am, and 7pm. We ask everyone to be careful when visiting and to use hand sanitiser as they enter the church. Face masks are compulsory.
- More instructions will be given regarding Holy Communion at Mass. We are following the guidance of our diocese regarding the reception of Holy Communion – face masks will need to be lifted just before receiving Communion. The host needs to be received on the hand, and then consumed immediately.
- The Dominican rite Mass is suspended until further notice.
- Live streaming will continue of 12.30pm weekday Mass and the Sunday 10.30am and 7pm Mass (with Holy hour beforehand).
- Families will be able to sit together in the pews. But, separate households must remain at least 1m away from others when seated or standing in the church. So, you cannot sit directly in front, behind or beside others who are not in your household.
- At the moment we will not require pre-booking to attend Mass.
- We are unable to open the church for private prayer during the day. This is due to security demands and cleaning requirements being more than what we can manage given our current number of priests and available volunteers. We will review this situation at the end of August.
- When you arrive, we will ask for your surname, numbers in your household attending Mass, and your telephone number. This is for the purpose of contact tracing, in accordance with GDPR requirements.
- The repository (parish shop) will be moved to the narthex area (the glass door area at the back of the church). There will also be a table in the narthex for you to book Mass intentions and leave a stipend inside an envelope. We will try to arrange Mass for your requested time and date (but this is sometimes not possible). It is best if you bring your own pen to fill in forms.
- We are still waiting for instructions from the diocese about resuming confessions, we will keep you informed when we can resume hearing confessions in the church.
- If you wish to make a tithe payment, this is best done by card payment. We will have a card machine available in the narthex to receive payments. This machine is cleaned regularly, but it is best practice to use hand sanitiser before and after using the donation station. If you are a UK taxpayer, there is an option to GiftAid your donation.
- At the weekends, we will have collection plates at the Wellington Street entrance and the New Walk exit. You can donate either before Mass starts or when you are leaving. Please contact Fr Luke (email@example.com) if you need more GiftAid envelopes for cash/cheque donations.
- If you wish to light a candle, it is best to bring your own lighter or matches.
HOLY MASS ON WEDNESDAY 12th AUGUST
We are planning a ‘dry run’ for public worship, so we can judge how effective our systems are in meeting Government requirements. As a trial, we will open up the church in time for the 12.30pm Mass on Wednesday 12th August, with the doors of the church open between 12 noon until 2pm.